Looking for a sweet treat that helps boost your protein intake? These homemade rice krispies made with protein powder are the answer!
A few years ago, a friend’s trainer turned me on to having a rice krispy treat as my pre-workout. The combination of easily digestible carbs and sugar is perfect to get your pump going and keep it going!
I started making my own and incorporating protein powder, which makes it easier to fit them in my macros goals. The best part is that I use marshmallow protein powder, so they just taste like an extra flavorful krispy treat!
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little $ at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
- Rice Krispies – You can substitute another puffed rice cereal if you’d prefer.
- Butter or coconut oil – The marshmallow mixture needs some oil. Butter, vegan butter, and coconut oil all work great.
- Marshmallows – I use Jet-Puffed marshmallows. You can substitute Dandies for a vegan option.
- Protein Powder – You can use any flavor of protein powder. I think marshmallow or vanilla flavored works best.
How To Make
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Add the protein powder and stir to combine.
- Add the cereal and gently stir until it is all incorporated.
- Add the mixture to an 8×8 dish and gently press down with your hands or a spatula to spread it out evenly.
- Do not press the rice krispy mixture down too hard in the pan or else you will end up with bars that are very dense and hard. Gently press down instead.
- If the mixture is sticking to your spatula, try lightly coating the utensil with oil or non-stick spray.
- I do not recommend refrigerating this as they will become hard instead of chewy.
- Add vanilla extract for additional flavor.
- Peanut Butter – Use Fit PB instead of or in place of some of the powder.
- Strawberry – Add dehydrated strawberries when mixing in the cereal.
- Birthday Cake – Use cake flavored protein powder and add sprinkles.
- Cookies & Cream – Use Oreo protein powder and add some crushed cookies.
Protein Rice Krispies
Homemade rice krispy treats with protein powder. An excellent pre-workout snack.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 9
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
3 Tablespoons Butter or Coconut Oil
6 Cups Marshmallows
5 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
Add marshmallows and stir with the butter until there are no lumps.
Add the protein powder and stir until incorporated.
Remove from heat and quickly add the cereal. Mix until combined.
Add to an 8×8 dish. Gently and evenly press the mixture down.
Allow to cool at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Slice into as many squares as desired.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Keywords: dessert with protein powder, pre-workout snacks