All the flavors of a taco plate are present in this well-balanced meal prep bowl. The rice, beans, and corn help you stay full for hours!
One of my favorite lunches when eating out during the work week is a taco plate from a local Mexican restaurant. Nothing satisfies me more!
To help stay on track with my budget and with my diet goals, I decided to create a slightly healthier version that I could meal prep. That’s when this delicious taco bowl was born.
To make it lighter, I swapped the refried beans for black beans and I used a simple steamed brown rice with no butter or oil added.
- Ground Beef – I use lean ground beef. You can substitute ground turkey or textured vegetable protein.
- Taco Seasoning – Homemade or store-bought taco seasoning both work.
- Beans – I recommend black beans or kidney beans.
- Corn – I used a frozen fire roasted corn. Canned or fresh corn can be substituted.
- Rice – I used brown rice, but you can use white rice or even quinoa.
- Pico de Gallo – I pick up pre-made pico at my grocery store. You can make your own or simply substitute diced tomatoes.
- Guacamole – This can be homemade or store-bought. Wholly guacamole has little individual 2oz containers that are really convenient.
- Want to try a meatless version? Shred tofu in a cheese grater and cook in taco seasoning instead of the beef.
- Add sautéed bell peppers and onions for more servings of veggies.
- Need lower carbs? Substitute a bed of leafy greens for the rice.
Related Meal Prep RecipesPrint
Taco Bowl Meal Prep
A balanced meal prep bowl with all the flavors of a taco.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
1 Tablespoon Oil
1lb Ground Beef
1 Packet Taco Seasoning
8oz Frozen Corn
1 16oz Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Cup Cooked Rice
1/2 Cup Pico de Gallo
1/2 Cup Guacamole
Add oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground meat and brown. Drain the fat.
Stir in the taco seasoning and add the amount of water your seasoning packet requires. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Distribute the 1 cup of cooked rice evenly among the bottom of 4 meal prep containers. On top, place the frozen corn, black beans, pico de Gallo, and a small container of guacamole.
Once meat has cooled completely, secure the airtight lids on your meal prep containers. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Serving Size: 1 Container
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.6 g
- Fiber: 12.7 g
- Protein: 34.6 g
- Cholesterol: 65.8 mg
Keywords: meal prep ideas for lunch, meal prep with taco meat